Search Community

cannot use tween engine for specific media

isaacalves test
Moderator Tag

Hello,

I'm creating a swf file that will be displayed on an elevator screen. It'll be a FLV but they also want a swf. Some of the specifications include : must be AS 2.0, cannot use _root, global variables, #include, fscommand, among others. :(

I used greensock's Tweenlite to do some tweens and they said I cannot use any external packages! :x

I would like to understand what's the problem. I asked them (haven't got an answer yet) but I'd like to get different feedback on this topic.

And if anyone can help me with doing the same as I do with this little piece of code below without using a tween engine neither the timeline, I would really appreciate:

var len:Number = squares.length;
for (var i = 0; i < len; i++){
TweenLite.from(squares[i], 0.3, {_xscale: 0, delay: i*0.03, ease: Expo.easeOut});
}

What I do here is animate a bunch of squares (that form a mask)

There's a lot of squares, I don't want to do that kind of work in the timeline for obvious reasons and I'm also using other code to randomize the array and other stuff.

Thanks in advance!

I would love to hear your client's rational for refusing to allow 3rd party code, external files, #includes, etc. The fact is that it is a widely accepted industry standard to use 3rd party engines like TweenLite, PV3D, etc. (and for very good reason). If your client wants you to recreate the wheel and code an engine yourself with ENTER_FRAME handlers or something, that's fine but they'll have to pay you a lot more to do it and you'll burn a bunch of time working through issues that have already been worked through in the well-established 3rd party engines out there. And then I'd feel bad for whoever inherits your files down the road and has to maintain/update them - does your client expect you to provide full documentation too? Frankly, if a client gave me that "can't do" list, it would tell me something about the type of client they are and I'd think twice about working with them.

Sometimes their concern simply has to do with wanting to avoid copyright infringement or licensing fees. That's understandable, but if that's the case I'd point them to http://www.greensock.com/business-case/. And the fact is that the standard "no charge" license covers 98%+ of the use cases out there anyway, so I doubt they'd need to pay a dime.

Seriously, though, please let us know what the client says about their rational for such limitations.