Search Community

Keep top/bottom content in place when pinning

ilovecheese test
Moderator Tag

Go to solution Solved by akapowl,

I am wondering if I can keep the content above and below the pinned item in place, while the targeted div does the clip-path reveal. Most of the examples I see have the divs at 100vh, so you never see what's above or below. I have a working example that is close to what I am wanting, where I want to "lock in" the top/orange area and the bottom/red area, while the purple/green reveal is happening. Then when done, continue scrolling down. As you can see in my example, the bottom/red area is not where it needs to be when the effect starts, since the pinning padding is pushing it down. I have added pinSpacing: false, but that doesn't help.

Thanks.

See the Pen ZEKqwdp by ilovecheese (@ilovecheese) on CodePen

• Solution

Hey @ilovecheese,

Sorry for the delayed reply, your question must have slipped through.

What you can do, is wrap all your content in a div and in your ScrollTrigger pin that wrap instead of that section. Like this maybe:

See the Pen 2def4c19b590842753175ff01adbc988 by akapowl (@akapowl) on CodePen

For any subsequent ScrollTriggers on elements within that wrap you will then have consider using the pinnedContainer property, because their start/end will likely be misplaced due to the pinning as they are within the pin-spacer of that wrap and thus can not take that pin-spacing into account. You'll find more info on pinnedContainer in the ScrollTrigger docs.

Hope that helps. Happy scrolling and welcome to the forums!

• Like 4

• 2 years later...

Welcome to the forum, BeEnder.

1 hour ago, BeEnder said:

Unfortunately pin: '.wrap' does not work if i have two pinned elements in a row.

That is because:

1. You didn't include the pinnedContainer property as I mentioned above would be neccessary on any subsequent ScrollTriggers in the same wrapping element.

On 8/11/2021 at 10:59 AM, akapowl said:

For any subsequent ScrollTriggers on elements within that wrap you will then have consider using the pinnedContainer property, because their start/end will likely be misplaced due to the pinning as they are within the pin-spacer of that wrap and thus can not take that pin-spacing into account. You'll find more info on pinnedContainer in the ScrollTrigger docs.

2.  You are using older versions of GSAP / ScrollTrigger (3.11.4) that might have had issues with pinning at some point.
    The current versions are 3.12.2

I updated to the latest versions and added the property as mentioned above and it looks to be working as intended.

See the Pen zYyZVyK by akapowl (@akapowl) on CodePen

• Like 4