Search Community

NPM Private Registry 403 Error

BrianCross test
Moderator Tag

Hi everyone, I'm getting the following error while trying to install from the private registry:

$ npm install gsap@npm:@gsap/shockingly

npm ERR! code E403
npm ERR! 403 403 Forbidden - GET https://npm.greensock.com/gsap - bad authorization header. Please login again
npm ERR! 403 In most cases, you or one of your dependencies are requesting
npm ERR! 403 a package version that is forbidden by your security policy, or
npm ERR! 403 on a server you do not have access to.

This is a Next JS project that I'm starting. I just worked on another Next JS project and had no issues installing from the private registry. I've searched a few threads and all suggested solutions result in the same error. I've double checked the authorization token and I actually copied the .npmrc file and .env.local that contains the actual token from the previous project.

I wonder if you're running into that ongoing problem with NPM v7. A bug report has already been filed and we're awaiting their response. Until then the only workaround we have found so far is running two install commands while on npm v7:

npm install @gsap/shockingly
npm install gsap@npm:@gsap/shockingly

The reason why we need two install commands is because the first command inserts the correct package into the npm cache. So the next command will be able to retrieve the package directly from the npm cache.

Another thread that might be helpful (or not): 

• Like 1

On 5/13/2021 at 11:11 AM, BrianCross said:

Hi everyone, I'm getting the following error while trying to install from the private registry:

$ npm install gsap@npm:@gsap/shockingly

npm ERR! code E403
npm ERR! 403 403 Forbidden - GET https://npm.greensock.com/gsap - bad authorization header. Please login again
npm ERR! 403 In most cases, you or one of your dependencies are requesting
npm ERR! 403 a package version that is forbidden by your security policy, or
npm ERR! 403 on a server you do not have access to.

This is a Next JS project that I'm starting. I just worked on another Next JS project and had no issues installing from the private registry. I've searched a few threads and all suggested solutions result in the same error. I've double checked the authorization token and I actually copied the .npmrc file and .env.local that contains the actual token from the previous project.

Hi @BrianCross , do u mind sharing on how to configure the token in .env and also reference them from .npmrc? What i tried doesn't seems to work.

Looks like your token is invalid. You might need to re-check the token added by you. Type these commands to reset the token:

$ npm config set @gsap:registry https://npm.greensock.com/
$ npm config set //npm.greensock.com/:_authToken <your-auth-token>
$ npm install @gsap/business
$ npm install gsap@npm:@gsap/business

This should solve the issue

• Thanks 2