Search Community

Rotation with transformAroundPoint - position drift?

mittererr test
Moderator Tag

Hi,

I'm rotating a textfield using transformAroundPoint. The rotation is initiated by a MouseEvent.MOVE. When I move the mouse arround for some time the textfield position drifts more and more away.

My Source Code:

private function btnRotateMouseMove(evt : MouseEvent) : void {
var mousePos : Point = new Point(this.stage.mouseX, this.stage.mouseY);
var origin : Point = _textobj.localToGlobal(_textobj.__origin);
var beta : Number = 180 * Math.atan((mousePos.y - origin.y) / (mousePos.x - origin.x)) / Math.PI;

TweenLite.to(_textobj.__textField, 0, {transformAroundPoint:{point: _textobj.__origin, rotation:beta}});
}

Is there any Solution?

Thank You

Are you changing _textobj.__origin often? If it is consistent, there shouldn't be any drifting. Please send a simple FLA demonstrating the issue if you're still running into trouble. The transformAroundPoint plugin runs code with localToGlobal() and globalToLocal() to ensure that the point remains exactly matched up with where it should be. I believe there is a bug in Adobe's Flex framework, though, that can cause those methods to return incorrect data if your object has an outline. Are you using Flex?

Nope, I'm not aware of any issues with rotating TextFields. Does your object (or its container(s)) have an outline in Flex? If so, you're almost surely running into the Flex bug. Again, it would be REALLY helpful if you posted a super-simple demo of the issue (a Flex project zip or fxp is fine). It's tough to troubleshoot blind.

Yeah, this is caused by a buildup of tiny lacks in precision in Flash's reporting of localToGlobal() and globalToLocal() - there is no easy fix in terms of the plugin. You're definitely using TweenLite/TransformAroundPoint in a very unconventional way - I'd recommend doing the math manually instead of relying on a tweening engine (you're not tweening after all). Like:

var parentOrigin:Point = this.gobalToLocal(_textobj.localToGlobal(_textobj.__origin)); //origin's position in parent - set this in your MOUSE_DOWN handler
function btnRotateMouseMove(evt : MouseEvent) : void {
   var mousePos : Point = new Point(this.stage.mouseX, this.stage.mouseY);
   var origin : Point = _textobj.localToGlobal(_textobj.__origin);
   _textobj.rotation = 180 * Math.atan((mousePos.y - origin.y) / (mousePos.x - origin.x)) / Math.PI;

var p:Point = this.globalToLocal(_textobj.localToGlobal(_textobj.__origin));		
   _textobj.x += parentOrigin.x - p.x;
   _textobj.y += parentOrigin.y - p.y;
}