Search Community

LiquidStage best practices?

rynokins test
Moderator Tag

Hello, I'm looking to pin a movieclip to the bottom of the stage and stretch certain children of it depending on the resize of the stage (it's for a video player control strip that will resize on fullscreen). I'm trying to figure the best way to do this but I keep getting errors with each attempt. Can you help with some clues on how to deal with such an issue? Thanks

What errors are you getting?

It should be as simple as creating a LiquidStage instance, then create a LiquidArea that is positioned across the bottom of your screen. use LiquidArea's pinCorners() to pin it to the BOTTOM_LEFT and BOTTOM_RIGHT corners and set the scaleMode to ScaleMode.WIDTH_ONLY. attach() whatever objects you want to that LiquidArea and you're good to go.

Hey - thanks for that - I am able to get the background of the control strip aligned to the bottom of the swf and stretching along with it's resizing. My question now is how do I set up PinPoints to anchor the buttons? Do I need to use DynamicPinPoint to calculate where the buttons should be? I've tried that on my play-pause button and it seems to move it based on a percentage distance from the right side of the background, rather than anchoring it to the same distance as the original placement...

var controlsStage:LiquidStage = new LiquidStage(controls_mc.stage, 400, 300);
var controlsArea:LiquidArea = new LiquidArea(controls_mc, 0, 0, 400, 56);

controlsArea.attach(controls_bkg, ScaleMode.WIDTH_ONLY, AlignMode.CENTER, AlignMode.BOTTOM);
var ppp:DynamicPinPoint = new DynamicPinPoint(controls_bkg, playPausePoint);
ppp.attach(controls_mc.playPause_mc);
function playPausePoint():Point {
var bounds:Rectangle = controls_bkg.getBounds(controls_bkg);
return new Point(bounds.x + 24, bounds.y + 28);
}

Should I set up LiquidAreas for each element in the player? Would that be overkill? Thanks so much for your help.

For that sort of thing, I'd pin your buttons to each edge of the screen (like the BOTTOM_LEFT for the buttons on the left and BOTTOM_RIGHT for the buttons on the right) and then for the stretchy one in the middle, I'd create a LiquidArea that fills the area inbetween the buttons - just pinCorners() like I mentioned earlier to the BOTTOM_LEFT and BOTTOM_RIGHT. Make sense?

Feel free to post a simple example FLA if you're still having trouble (don't post the GreenSock classes please). The example can be super simple - no need to post your production files.

Hey - so I got that working and it's pretty sweet.

I simply attached the buttons to the LiquidStage and made and LiquidArea for the background so it would span the screen, and a separate LiquidArea for the timeline of the video.

One thing I don't understand though.

I have the video scrubber's x position set to update as the video plays, via some code:

scrubber.x = netStream.time * timeline.width / videoObject.duration;

This works great at the original size, but breaks on resize.

When I trace the scrubber's x position it's numbers make sense at the original size, they correspond with the width of the timeline accurately. On resize, when I make the movie larger, it seems like the 0x point that the scrubber is relative to moves — the same x position that traced out a positive number at the original size traces out a negative number when I make the swf wider. Is there a better way for me to calculate the x position for the scrubber? This is also a problem for dragging and seeking, which works ok at the original size but seems like it needs a different calculation when I resize.

Any thoughts?

Thank you again for your help with this.

Depending on your stageAlign, Flash actually slides the root object around (to center it or put it wherever). A simple solution would probably be to use your timeline's x position as the basis for your scrubber (I haven't seen how you built it, but I assume you could do:)

scrubber.x = timeline.x + (netStream.time * timeline.width / videoObject.duration);

You might want to set your stageAlign to TOP_LEFT although LiquidStage will work around whatever you do.

Hey - your advice was spot on. I had to break all of the math calculations into their own functions so they could get the updated widths efficiently but I now have a scrubber that works at every size! Thanks for your help!!

One thing to make a note of, possibly in your documentation — I just spent an entire frustrating day troubleshooting why portions of my design would not place correctly when I set my html embed code to be a different size than I originally designed the swf at. After much frustration and breaking it and rebuilding it I discovered that if I just set the stage's scaleMode to NO_SCALE I could set the embed code to be whatever size I wanted and everything would resize and move according to the design and rules I set up no problem.

stage.scaleMode = StageScaleMode.NO_SCALE;

I hope this can at leat help someone else avoid the frustration I was experiencing.