Search Community

Cursor dot with text on hover

Jase test
Moderator Tag

Thanks so much Richard for your response. I've tried so many examples but the one that pops up the most that is similar to what I want doesn't display the text. It's quite easy to find examples the the dot expanding on hover, but would be great to understand how I can get the text to appear as well :)

Hi, there are lots of nice effects on that site and I think it also depends on the device that is being used.

im not sure that I understand exactly what you want to do.

it may be that you need to use an event listener to trigger an effect (Eg. on hover) or perhaps you have a text effect in mind (a tween). 

it would be helpful if you could explain the context in a bit more detail.

Hello Jase,

live looked at that site with several different devices and I can’t see anything that resembles your code pen.

i did originally identify a hamburger menu with the effects that I posted yesterday but that’s obviously not what you are looking for.

sorry I can’t be more helpful.

Hey Jase and welcome to the GreenSock forums. 

You can look how they're creating the effect by inspecting the .cb-cursor element in the dev tools on the website you linked to. It uses CSS transitions to animate the opacity of the text and the scale of the ::before element. It also uses JS to update the position to follow the cursor when a project is hovered.

• 6 months later...

It seems that cuberto use data-cursor-text in the img link for the text within the dot when on hover. I've seen so many examples in codepen of the classic dot following the cursor but nothing really on how to get text to appear within the dot on hover. Cuberto bundle all the JS up so it's really difficult to decipher which parts are solely for the cursor.

Hey Jase. The thread Richard linked at the top of this thread shows how to do a magnetic effect where the circle changes size. If you take out the magnetic part you're left with just the circle changing size, much like the effect that you're trying to create. The only part left to add is scaling and fading the text and adding the background color animation.

We're happy to answer any specific GSAP-related questions that you have.

• 1 year later...

@ZachSaucier or @mikel  or greensock team,   Would you please let me know how to set fixed magnetic on hover color, In the forked code pen below

See the Pen BaYaJvp by prad1490 (@prad1490) on CodePen

, If background tile changes On hover dynamically reflects different color. Thanks in advance. 

PS: In attached file, magnetic hover color is turned to violet, How Can I change it to say fixed color like white color background magnetic circle with black text.

Screenshot 2022-05-01 at 15.05.19_11zon.png

Hi @dheep. Welcome to the forums. 

We don't have the resources to provide free general consulting or "build to order" solutions (please read the forum guidelines), but we'd be happy to answer any GSAP-specific questions. That demo has over 16,000 lines of JS code alone, so it's way beyond the scope of help we can provide for free here. You can either post a minimal demo with a GSAP-specific question or you're welcome to post in the "Jobs & Freelance" forum for paid assistance. 

Good luck!