Search Community

Club GreenSock License Upkeeping

EPEffects test
Moderator Tag

Hey! I have a question concerning the Club GreenSock License.

I hope this is the right place to ask! 😄

I have been using the free version of GreenSock for quite a while now and I am now planing to get a hold of the SimplyGreen Plan in order to get access to some of the bonus plugins.

Before I dive into new projects I wanted to ask what happens if I decided to stop renewing my license. I understand that I won't be receiving new updates for the plugins. What i was wondering is whether I am still allowed to keep the old version of the plugins in my projects even after the license ran out.

Or does this mean I have to either keep paying for the license or remove the script out of my project.

Thank you in advance!

• Like 1

Hey EPEffects and welcome to the GreenSock forums! 

18 hours ago, EPEffects said:

I won't be receiving new updates for the plugins.

Correct. Updates are only given with a valid Club GreenSock membership.

18 hours ago, EPEffects said:

whether I am still allowed to keep the old version of the plugins in my projects even after the license ran out.

Yep! You're free to continue using the files that you already have, no issue. There's nothing in them to prevent that from happening (you could even check that yourself by looking through the source code that we provide if you wanted). 

The only case where you'd need to continue to have a valid Club GreenSock membership for old projects is if that project requires the commercial license. A commercial license is necessary any time you use GSAP in a product that is sold to multiple people. So for example if you had a website that used GSAP and had a paywall for all or part of it, then you'd need a Business Green membership to create it but also retain that Business Green membership for as long as people are paying to access that site. But even this is based on the honor code - we trust our users to respect our licensing because we treat people the way we'd like to be treated.

The other big reason why you'd need a Business Green membership is if you have multiple developers working with GreenSock tools. Anytime you have more than one developer using GreenSock tools you're supposed to get the appropriate multi-developer Business Green membership that covers all of your developers who use GreenSock tools, even if they only use GreenSock tools from time to time. I know this isn't directly relevant to your situation, but it's probably the biggest reason why Business Green is necessary in some cases so I figured I'd mention it :) 

Let me know if you have any more questions!

• Like 3