Search Community

Anyone used Animoto's FilmStrip?

mattmoon test
Moderator Tag

I have a question i am building a rendering system in as3 and have modules that I am loading into a core TimelineLite timeline. I want to use Animoto's filmstrip to capture the frames but it says that you must extend the Tweening Engine to use it. Thats fine but I just wanted to know if i could extend the TimelineLite class and leave the base tween classes alone. Our clients will be able to build modules for this without any knowledge of the render itself and i dont want to have to make them extend their tween classes just to use it.

Any thoughts?

...it says that you must extend the Tweening Engine to use it.

You must extend what tweening engine? One that came with Animoto? Sorry, I'm not very familiar with it yet. I can't really speak to its requirements or whether or not it forces you to use its proprietary tweening engine.

Did I misunderstand your question?

Sorry. My mind is a little scattered. Animoto's Filmstrip is a snap-in frame dumper that captures images of a container and dumps them to bitmapdata.

here is the link

http://labs.animoto.com/2009/06/07/presenting-filmstrip/

They require you to modify the tweenlite code to use their pulsecontrol class that lets you walk through the animation at FilmStrips own pace. It requires you to replace any enterframes or time lookups with a call to their pulsecontrol. The problem is that their code is for the gs package and a little out of date. I really like their code because i dont have to step through on a frame basis and allows me to use second based tweens instead of frame based. (ease of implementation for our clients) I really want to only have to modify the timelinelite code and not touch the tweenlite classes as this would mean distributing a "patched" version of the tweenlite class to our clients which i dont want to do.

I know you are a fan of Moses Gunesch and this is his code. I have much respect for both of you. Any help I could get would be great.

Yeah, Moses is a great guy.

It looks like you would indeed need to edit a few lines in TweenLite to use Animoto's timing mechanism. It shouldn't be too bad - probably only 2-3 lines. I totally understand your hesitation, though, because as soon as you branch TweenLite, you miss out on future patches/enhancements or need to manually add them which is a pain. I don't see a way to get around this Animoto requirement.