Search Community

Best way to get SVG current rotation value?

ada601 test
Moderator Tag

Since animating an SVG element with rotation produces a matrix, what is the best way to obtain the current rotation value in an onUpdate callback?

Currently, the only way I found that works is to use the getProperty method. Is that the only way? If not, is it the appropriate way?

Thank you in advance.

It was a little hard to find it, actually! I'm coming from anime.js where I would just look at the current tween on update.

When I got here I found discussions about using "{self}" in onUpdateProps and that added a little to my confusion. Then investigating this in the callback left me empty handed.

No drawbacks, I just wanted to be sure that was the best way to do it.

Another approach would be to use this.targets() inside of a listener to get the current target(s) and then get the value from that. It's still probably best to use getProperty though :) Just with the target from this.targets() (if it needs to be more dynamic than a string selector or whatever you are using as the tween's target). 

"{self}" is from older versions of GSAP and isn't supported in GSAP 3.

1 minute ago, ZachSaucier said:

Do you happen to still have links to the thread(s) that you were looking at? It might be good for us to include a post about .getProperty in them so that future readers can find it more easily.

If there would have been a little tip alongside discussion of rotate anywhere the getting started docs that probably would have save me an hour. Everything else I read was via google and pretty old...

17 minutes ago, ada601 said:

If there would have been a little tip alongside discussion of rotate anywhere the getting started docs that probably would have save me an hour.

I added a little section to the getting started article: https://greensock.com/get-started/#get-property

Do you think that's sufficient for future readers? Sorry for the trouble finding this information caused you.

If you want to get the current value of a specific element, you can (at any time, of any element) use GSAP's .getProperty() method.

I just might add that this works even in arrow functions - since you just talked about how getting targets *doesn't*.

I you made an excellent addition to the docs!

• Like 2