Search Community

Seamless switch between two tweens or timelines

cheister test
Moderator Tag

Hi, 

I am currently building GUI elements which should show different animations on different states but I need a smooth transition. 

How can I achieve a immediate but smooth transition between e.g. the following tweens

State 1: Should rotate only and should not scale
tween = TweenLite.fromTo(box, 10, {rotation: 0}, {rotation: 360, ease: "linear" , repeat: -1})

State 2 Should yoyo scale only  should not scale

tween = TweenLite.fromTo(box, 1, {scaleX: 1, scaleY: 1}, {scaleX: 0.8, scaleY: 0.8, ease: "bezier", yoyo: true, repeat: -1

State 3 ... 

I tried several methods by just changing the tween, but then I need to kill() the current tween and restart() the tween which creates jumps in the animation.

Any help appreciated! 

Hey cheister and welcome to the GreenSock forums!

26 minutes ago, cheister said:

How can I achieve a immediate but smooth transition between e.g. the following tweens

It's technically impossible to have a transition be both immediate (i.e. duration of 0) and smooth (which requires a duration > 0). 

What I'm guessing you're wanting is a way to slow down an animation to a stop and then slowly start another animation, correct? 

GSAP's timeScale ability is perfect for that:

See the Pen Powbvad?editors=0010 by GreenSock (@GreenSock) on CodePen

Note that I don't make use of paused/playing at all - I'm just setting or tweening each timeline's (or tween's if you'd prefer to switch them out) timeScale.

Side note: it looks like you're mixing up some GSAP 3 formatting (like the string ease "bezier") with GSAP 2 formatting (like the duration parameter). We recommend using all GSAP 3 formatting like I did in the demo above, but you'll need to load GSAP 3 to have your code work as you're expecting even if you don't use all the GSAP 3 formatting.

• Like 1