Search Community

TimelineLite and Ease

robertnyc test
Moderator Tag

If you have multiple tweens with eases in a timeline, is there an easy way to keep the same ease on reverse? That is, if you have the ease on the original tweens as easeOut, when you reverse() the timeline they become easeIn (as far as I can see), which makes sense. But is there an easy way to make them remain easeOut?

I see no overall ease on the timeline itself, although I suppose you could tween the currentProgress of the timeline and then adjust that ease. But that ruins the elegance of the simple timeline play()/reverse() (really nifty stuff!). One could also change the ease on the tweens, but again, that seems kludgy.

Am I missing an easier method?

Nope, you assessed things correctly. You can certainly sequence two tweens back-to-back, one with an easeIn and the other with an easeOut - put 'em both into a TimelineLite and then you can control it as a whole. You could also put labels at each start time so that you can gotoAndPlay("forwards") and gotoAndPlay("backwards"). Just an idea.

OK, that seems to work, but it seems I would then have to set up all tweens twice (not a big deal, but when there are a lot of tweens....)

Does TweenMax store a copy of the ease function, or simply a reference? I thought that the following might be the simplest solution (in pseduo code)

var _ease:Function = Quad.easeOut;

myTweenMax = new TweenMax(something,someTime,{someparams,ease:_ease});
myTimeline = new TimelineMax();
myTimeline.insert(myTweenMax);

function changedirection():void {
if timeline is playing forward {
    _ease = Quad.easeIn;
     timeline.reverse();
  } else {
    _ease = Quad.easeOut;
    timeline.play();
  }