Search Community

Using timeline to play and pause video on hover

EmGes test
Moderator Tag

Warning: Please note

This thread was started before GSAP 3 was released. Some information, especially the syntax, may be out of date for GSAP 3. Please see the GSAP 3 migration guide and release notes for more information about how to update the code to GSAP 3's syntax. 

I'm trying to set up un html page displaying 2 videos that could each be played by hovering a button placed next to it. I would also like them to pause on mouse out.

I've tried several codes including using javascript and/or jquery but it just doesn't work.

I'm not sure if it's possible at all so here's my html :

<div class="video-one">
<video  loop preload="auto" >
<source src="street-copy.mp4" type="video/mp4">
</video>                                    
</div>  

Thank you !

Hi !

Thank you for your answer, I thought that maybe gsap could help achieve this in a simple way. However in the html in your codepen, a div is not closed in the end :

<div id="hover" class="button">PLAY/PAUSE (hover)</div

it still works though. When trying that code I had to close it but nothing moves...

34 minutes ago, EmGes said:

Hi !

Thank you for your answer, I thought that maybe gsap could help achieve this in a simple way. However in the html in your codepen, a div is not closed in the end :

<div id="hover" class="button">PLAY/PAUSE (hover)</div

it still works though. When trying that code I had to close it but nothing moves...

Good catch on the incomplete closing </div> ... that's what I get for typing too fast ;) 

play(), pause(), currentTime() are native to JS in the video and audio APIs, so there's not much any framework can/would do to make that easier. I went with jQuery only to make the bindings a bit easier ... but vanilla JS would work just as well.

Is there something beyond play/pause that you're hoping GSAP would facilitate?

• Like 1