Search Community

Firefox Performance Issues

james.brndwgn test
Moderator Tag

Warning: Please note

This thread was started before GSAP 3 was released. Some information, especially the syntax, may be out of date for GSAP 3. Please see the GSAP 3 migration guide and release notes for more information about how to update the code to GSAP 3's syntax. 

Just wanted to know if anyone has any experience dealing with performance issues on Firefox. I've got a site that uses a lot of SVG animations and it works great on all other browsers, however Firefox performance is lacking to say the least. Is this a common issue with Firefox? Is there anything one can do to help boost performance? I read an older article here https://greensock.com/forums/topic/11337-firefox-performance/ which talks about FFs issues, but I would think (or at least hope) those issues would have been addressed after 2+ years. 

Any adivce would be much appreciated!

Thanks,

James

Hello @james.brndwgn and welcome to the GreenSock Forum!

This will be hard to guess whats happening without seeing some code examples for context. Generally animating large amounts of SVG elements, since SVG is basically DOM based, and can cause performance issues due to the way SVG elements are rendered triggering layout to be calculated affecting its surrounding elements. Usually large amounts of elements are best animated with canvas or canvas webgl. SVG cant take advantageof hardware acceleration since SVG 1.1 does not support 3D transforms at this time. But SVG 2 will support 3D transforms, but that wont be for awhile.

If you can please create a limited or reduced codepen with the issue your seeing then we can better help you

• Like 4