Search Community

Both translate and translate3d being applied but only translate Tweening

RealMakAttak test
Moderator Tag

Go to solution Solved by Carl,

Warning: Please note

This thread was started before GSAP 3 was released. Some information, especially the syntax, may be out of date for GSAP 3. Please see the GSAP 3 migration guide and release notes for more information about how to update the code to GSAP 3's syntax. 

Hello Forum,

Hope someone can help, I've looked everywhere to no avail.

I am translating the "y" position below, using a tweenmax timeline within scrollmagic, it works fine but on mobile it looks very jittery. I thought it must be something to do with hardware acceleration now being activated. When looking at the resulting code in developer tools, what I can't under stand is why the actual animation is implemented, inline, like this:

element.style {

1. transformtranslate(0%, -68.0272%) translate3d(0px, 0px, 0px);
}

I tried using both a tiny z value, and force3d to try and get the translate3d to animate but neither worked. I didn't even realise it was possible to do both translate and translate3d at the same time.

Why is GSAP doing this? How can I change it to just use translate3d?

Here is the code below that I am using:

var secondtl = new TimelineMax();

secondtl.from(".image-two", 2, {y:'20%', ease:Power0.easeNone}).to(".image-container-two", 2, {y:'-100%', ease:Power0.easeNone}).to(".image-two", 2, {y:'80%', ease:Power0.easeNone}, "-=2");

var triggerElementOneOuterHeight = $("#explanation-box-one").outerHeight(true);

var secondOne = new ScrollMagic.Scene({

triggerElement: "#explanation-box-one",

triggerHook: 1,

offset: triggerElementOneOuterHeight,

duration: "200%"

})

.setTween(secondtl)

.addIndicators()

.addTo(controller);

• Solution

The short answer to your question is that percentage based values must be set via translate as translate3d will only honor px-based values.

GSAP does normal x/y transforms using translate3d() or matrix3d() (depending on browser support and other conditions).

However, if you use a percentage value for x/y it will push that over to translate(). In your case GSAP uses translate(X%, Y%) to move the element based on the values you provided AND uses translate3d to get the element layerized and hardware-accelerated.

Its actually a very cool benefit to have independent and simultaneous control over % and px-based values. 

Check out this release post from v 1.13: http://greensock.com/gsap-1-13-1 for more info and demos showing the benefits.

• Like 1

The short answer to your question is that percentage based values must be set via translate as translate3d will only honor px-based values.

GSAP does normal x/y transforms using translate3d() or matrix3d() (depending on browser support and other conditions).

However, if you use a percentage value for x/y it will push that over to translate(). In your case GSAP uses translate(X%, Y%) to move the element based on the values you provided AND uses translate3d to get the element layerized and hardware-accelerated.

Its actually a very cool benefit to have independent and simultaneous control over % and px-based values. 

Check out this release post from v 1.13: http://greensock.com/gsap-1-13-1 for more info and demos showing the benefits.

Completely understood Carl, yes that is beneficial. I didn't realise I would get a hardware acceleration effect without translate3d() having a value other than 0 - there must be something else causing the jittering.

Thank you very much for your help.

• Like 1