Search Community

Pre-sales questions

strausslin test
Moderator Tag

Warning: Please note

This thread was started before GSAP 3 was released. Some information, especially the syntax, may be out of date for GSAP 3. Please see the GSAP 3 migration guide and release notes for more information about how to update the code to GSAP 3's syntax. 

Hi Guys,

I am new in GSAP, just registered few minutes ago.. I found GSAP after a long reserach looking for a tool to help with some, not so complex animations, that  I want to add to my project (Online store)... for what I´ve seen GSAP will do the trick.. and much more. ..!

I did not see any section for pre-sales questions, so that´s why I posted it here.. not sure if that´s permitted.

I have few of questions about GSAP :

- Download button - what do I actually get when I download.. if I haven´t purchased any license at all.

- Couldn´t find the place or link to ask for the price of a permanent license.

- The code (html/js) generated when using GSAP is 100% open.. I mean, no hidden or locked line codes

- GSAP can be used  with any operating system (Win/OS).

- Minimum version compatibility for major browsers IE, Chrome, FireFox.

Thanks,

Pascale

Hi Pascale and welcome to the GreenSock forums.

I'll try to give you the best possible answers, I'm sure Carl and/or Jack will be able to add a bit to this.

The download button gives you access to what you can download for free. This includes the main core of GSAP like TweenLite, TweenMax, TimelineLite, TimelineMax and a bunch of plugins. Actually it'll be shorter to type which plugins/tools you don't get, these are the DrawSVG Plugin, Physics 2D plugin, ThrowProps Plugin, ScrambleText plugin and the SplitText tool. You get all the rest of the toolset with the download button, which also points to the CDN links of every of those tools.

You can find the prices for every GreenSock Club alternative as well as a lot of information regarding the included tools and licensing in this link:

http://greensock.com/club/

The code given whether you've purchased a Club membership or not is totally open, so no surprises there. Of course the main idea is that if you use membership only tools you should protect as much as possible your investment.

GSAP, as well as any other JS code works on the browser, not the OS (the browser actually has to deal with the OS) so regardless of your OS you can work with GSAP. All you need is a text editor.

The browser compatibility is one of the biggest assets of GSAP. Last time I checked browser support goes all the way back to the land of the dead as it works even with IE6+, so that pretty much covers every browser out there as well as a lot of device browsers too. I've never had a bad moment saying "well I thought this browser was supported", it's been more like "whoa!! it works even in this crappy browser". Currently there are several projects of mine (and I'm sure thousands of projects made by other users) working even on IE7 and the last time I checked GSAP was working ok with versions 30+ of Firefox, 35+ of Chrome and Safari 5+. But the need of going back to those browsers is becoming thinner every day (luckily for us) as few projects are requiring IE8 support these days.

Hopefully this covers all your doubts and if you have any other this is the place to ask.

Happy Tweening!!

• Like 2

Hi Rodrigo,

thanks for your prompt reply and yes, for sure, you have answered my doubts... Thanks again.. !

Yes, I have some more questions now.. Sorry about that ..:)

I would like to give a try to GSAP before purchasing the license, so I understand I could use it by

downloading  the library.. however, I plan to develop some test pages using a local host.. is that Ok...?.

What are the steps I need to take in order to setup GSAP libraries in my localhost..?,

Any tutorials related with this specific topic (GSAP used with local host)  are available.?

btw, I have browsed through all the features GSAP has, and it looks amazing.. can't wait to start using it, and see

how the animation works and performs..although,  I have a little concern about performance.. I have tried the example

works available, (OMM; SpaceLamb for instance) , and most of them take a lot to load in my browser (Firefox).. seems

heavy to load the start page of  these applications/animations.. not sure what causes this slowness.. could  be the

hosting ?.. my computer.? .. or could be the code itself (html/js/php/GSAP lib) .?

Thanks in advnace for your help.!

Pascale

Hi Pascale,

I see Rodrigo has provided some excellent answers.

Please download the GSAP files and test them and use them as much as you like. 

The only time you need to buy something from is when:

1. You want some of the premium tools that we offer (as Rodrigo listed above)
  2. Your usage requires a commercial license. A commercial license is bundled with our Business Green membership and is only required when you re-sell your product to multiple end users. http://greensock.com/licensing/

If you still have licensing questions please let us know. 

As for running GSAP from a localhost, there is nothing special you need to do. It is just a set of JavaScript files. For 99% of what you will need to do you can just load in the TweenMax.min.js file.

//assuming you have a js folder that contains TweenMax in the root of your site

<script src="js/TweenMax.min.js"></script>

Regarding Performance:

We slave over making GSAP perform well. In fact, GSAP has a solid reputation for being blazing fast. A lot of sites in our showcase are high-end, award-winning sites that are pushing the boundaries of what is possible. They cater to a broadband audience with modern machines / devices. It sounds like you may be confusing download time with animation performance. A lot of these sites are packed with heavy images (for retina), sounds and other JS libraries. 

I could go on for a long time, but this is why we offer a majority of our tools for free, we want you to try them for yourself and be blown away. 

I think you will find in very short time that GSAP is beyond compare. 

To start, be sure to study each of these demos: http://codepen.io/collection/ifybJ/

Please notice you can click the share button on any one of them, download a zip and then extract it to your local machine.

If you have any more questions please let us know

• Like 3

Hi Carl,

thanks for your reply. The tool is really amazing for what I have seen. I might have more questions while I get to use the tool,

I think it will be good if I create an accounin CodePen.. can I use the codes in there if I have a free account.?

Thanks for your help.