Search Community

Update a running tween

gareth test
Moderator Tag

Warning: Please note

This thread was started before GSAP 3 was released. Some information, especially the syntax, may be out of date for GSAP 3. Please see the GSAP 3 migration guide and release notes for more information about how to update the code to GSAP 3's syntax. 

I am trying to increase the height of a jump performed by my character depending on how long the space bar is held down. 

I have a working demo here: 

What I don't understand how to do is to update the end point (and speed) of the tween once it is running. At the moment I have a double jump effect, but ideally I would like the height of the jump to increase with the length of the press.

See the Pen LEPqbE by eighthday (@eighthday) on CodePen

Here's my version. This may or may not work for your circumstances. I didn't opt to use a Timeline. Instead I just repeatedly call the same function, adjusting the jumping Tween, while the spacebar is held.

There are probably a million valid ways to code this, but here's the version I threw together. Note that this would only work for completely flat surfaces since it Tweens y to 0 every time. Additional logic would have to be added to compensate for that.

See the Pen YPzPyd by maelfyn (@maelfyn) on CodePen

• Like 1