Search Community

Alternative to tweening alpha to fade out?

BladePoint test
Moderator Tag

In my game's title screen, I've got some display objects in the background which are all covered by a large partially transparent curtain that fills the screen. Then on top of that I have a large, detailed piece of vector artwork for my game's title. When the game starts, I fade out the title by tweening its alpha from 1 to 0 over 2 seconds or so. The problem is this gets rather choppy on low end systems, I imagine because I'm tweening a transparency over a transparency. I've tried converting my title into a bitmap, and that helps somewhat, but it's still not very smooth on a Pentium 4.

Are there any good, fast alternatives to the fading out effect I'm looking for? Like maybe a dissolve effect where every other pixel disappears in a checkerboard pattern, or something like that.

Here is a suggestion - not sure if it would work or not - but maybe worth a shot.

You could try putting a mask over the vector art - then just alpha tween the mask.

Probably a lot less CPU intensive to alpha a simple box vs vector art.

I have not done it in a while - but I think when you alpha a mask - you have to set cacheAsBitmap flag to true for the MC as well as the MaskMC.

Good luck.

-R