Search Community

Advice for using Greensock as3 anim libraries for tile based games

bastrix test
Moderator Tag

Hi! 

I'd like some general advice regarding what to use for a tile based game built in as3 + starling framework. I have a few requirements and I'm not sure where to start. 

So anyway I have a cool looking dude walking in this little world, which is tile based. Pathfinding works fine, and it's all cool... BUT... If you have played any tile based retro games you can see sometimes the pathfinding animation is a bit harsh when it changes direction or when you need to keep the character aligned with the grid. 

So... I'd like to make it a bit smoother avoiding the small jumps to align up with the grid, and also it would be cool to be able to use small parabole animation when moving diagonally. 

The thing is, I'd also need to be able to pause the animation and resume. 

Soooo... I know you can pause with TimelineLite / TimelineMax right? and also I think there is some bezier curve funcitionality... I'd appreciate some general advice on this. Thanks!

Hi and welcome to the GreenSock forums.

If all the animation in your game is driven by any of our animation tools (TweenLite, TweenMax, TimelineLite and or TimelineMax) it is very easy to pause any animation or even all the animations. 

Each animation type has pause() and resume() methods. You can instantly gather all tweens and timelines and pause() and resume() them using the exportRoot() method of TimelineLite as descritbed here: http://forums.greensock.com/topic/7719-jv-converting-kineticjs-animation-to-gsap/?hl=shunting

Sure, the BezierPlugin is perfect for any type of animation along a curve. You can also achieve some basic curved animations by creating separate tweens for the x and y properties of your objects with different eases. 

I'm really not sure how to help you with your game or avoid the grid-snapping issues you face. Our support is very focused on the particulars of the animation API and not so much "the best way to build a game". 

Perhaps there are some seasoned game developers in here that have some general advice for you.