Search Community

How to move my sprite along a sine wave?

test84 test
Moderator Tag

Hi,

I'm making a flying enemy, like how you see in most platformers, from NES's Ninja Gaiden to God of War, and I can make it go and stay on top of player's head but after that I need to make it move to left and right in shape of a sine wave while maintaining it's position on top of the player.

(I mean it should go up and down and left and right. to be more precise: it's x should be varying from like player.x - 40 to player.x + 40 and it's y should be from player'sTop.y - 40 to player'sTop.y + 40 but keep form of a sine wave, hope I made myself clear enough)

I'm using Tweenmax for the first part, so you can give me examples on using that, I saw a Sine ease in but I want to move in both directions so I couldn't use it.

tnx!

you can either use the bezierThrough plugin. visit http://www.tweenmax.com and look in the plugin explorer.

or do something like this:

import com.greensock.*;
import com.greensock.easing.*;

TweenMax.to(b, 6, {x:400, ease:Linear.easeNone});
TweenMax.to(b, 1, {y:"100", repeat:5, yoyo:true, ease:Sine.easeInOut});

Thanks, I tried your code but it moves very very linearly .

you could also use TweenMax to move an object along the x axis and call onUpdate function that runs your own calculation on the y.

this might help:

http://www.splung.com/content/sid/2/page/shm

I made this 6 years ago with a basic onEnterFrame script:

http://doyouhaveapen.com/junkyart/sinulator.html

I was going to turn the ball into a pig that you threw into a pile of birds but thought it was too silly.

the GreenSock Tweening Platform doesn't support want you want directly but there are plenty of ways to get a sine wave style animation with AS3 and perhaps a touch of TweenLite.

Thanks for your interest in this topic,

I currently use a precalculated array of cosine and use it as:

TweenMax.to(this, 2, { bezier:[ {  x:Registry.player.x + xIterator} ] } );
			TweenMax.to(this, 2, { bezier:[ {  y:Registry.player.y - 40 + sineWavePreCalculated[sineWaveIterator] } ] } );

But the results are fixed and I can't have randomness in it. Since this is movement for my enemies, they will move just like each other so if I add a little random number anywhere, it will break apart. That's why I wanted to use TweenMax's own sine methods.

If only you could help me to replace second line's precalculated cosine values with help of TweenMax, that would be great.

I'm sorry, I don't understand what you mean by "TweenMax's own sine methods".

if you were able to pre-calculate the values I'd say you're much more ahead of the curve than me when it comes to trig.

I just found it somewhere but because it limits my movements, as I mentioned I can add variations to it, I wanted to find a way to do it with Tweenmax because I know somewhere inside it has this functionality but I can't just find it via preview demos on the site.