Search Community

Problems with sequencing in TimelineMax

cerulean test
Moderator Tag

I'm setting up a series of slides using Jack/Carl's animateIn()/Out() methodology

I'm running into a problem when I seek to move one of my sprites around in one of my slides -- it happens out of order. Specifically I put in something like this

tl.append(new TweenMax(_theTarget,0,{x:854,y:104}));

deep into the animation, but adding this call makes the sprite appear there right at the start. That is the call is appearing out of sequence.

Does having a time of 0 force the tween 'out of sequence'? I.e. some sort of immediate render?

Could someone explain to me -- dense today -- what the immediate render parameter in the timelineMax calls really does?

Also, one additional thing -- the _reason_ that the animateIn()/Out() methodology works is because NONE of the child timelines start playing until the master timeline starts? Thus one can build all day and nothing will happen until the main class starts its timeline? I was wondering, in light of the above.

Thanks!

I think this should help you:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4408&p=17556&hilit=immediateRender#p17556

to make your 0 duration tween not render until the timeline plays:

tl.append(new TweenMax(_theTarget,0,{x:854,y:104, immediateRender:false}));

Also, one additional thing -- the _reason_ that the animateIn()/Out() methodology works is because NONE of the child timelines start playing until the master timeline starts? Thus one can build all day and nothing will happen until the main class starts its timeline? I was wondering, in light of the above.

yes, pausing the master forces the children not to play.

there is a difference between a timeline playing and the initial properties/values of the objects being tweened getting set/rendered.

your 0 duration tween was rendering because as Jack said in that other post... when the tween is created TweenLite says "0 duration?, oh no, I better do that now!" by setting immediateRender:false, you are making sure those values don't get set until the tween gets told to play by its parent timelinemax.

Another point to consider is that by definition a tween needs to have a duration, start values and end values. by setting a 0 duration, there is no end or beginning time. It's very cool that TweenLite is flexible enough to accommodate these non-tweens.

--

don't worry from() tweens and 0 duration tweens are the only tweens that really require any sort of tweaking of immediateRender. Once you use it once or twice it pretty much sinks in.

---

if you need more explanation, i'll try to help. I think Jack's explanation is spot on (obviously) so I don't want to clutter it up too much.

Carl