Search Community

workflow for reloading xml

idahotallpaul test
Moderator Tag

Hi.

I'm building a kiosk application that needs to reload a piece of xml data every 3 minutes to update a realtime chart. I obviously want to make sure that the xml data is not being cached by the browser and want to make sure that everything is being garbage collected.

What is the recommended workflow for this? Is it best to create a new XMLLoader each time I'm fetching the new data and pass it the autoDispose parameter? Or can I create one XMLLoader, pass it a noCache parameter, and call _myXMLLoader.load () on interval?

If there's a bit of sample code you could point me to, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks all, and thanks Jack for making my life easier. :)

I imagine creating a single XMLLoader and calling load with no cache on, and set flushContent to true:

// load(flushContent:Boolean = false):void 
xmlLoader.load(true); // to flush previous content

That way you create one XMLLoader object, and reuse it for the duration of the application. Should create the smallest memory footprint.

Thanks for the input. I ended up creating one loader, and then on interval, I'm calling the .unload () function and then .load ().

_xmlLoader = new XMLLoader("../xml/usage.xml", {name:"chartXML", noCache:true, autoDispose:false, onComplete:completeHandler});
_xmlLoader.load();

// later, on my timer interval:
_xmlLoader.unload();
_xmlLoader.load();

Does _xmlLoader.load (true) do the same thing, or are they different in any way?

Thanks.

Does _xmlLoader.load (true) do the same thing, or are they different in any way?

Both methods call the internal method _dump(1, LoaderStatus.READY); - so they're doing the same thing. (See LoaderCore.as line 170, and line 273)