Search Community

How to use DrawSVGPlugin.getPosition(element) to keep an arrowhead at the head of an animated line

Xristi test
Moderator Tag

My code pen uses  two different functions to separately animate a line and the arrowhead that travels along the line's path at the head of the lengthening line.  I used a timeline to try to synchronize their movement, keeping the arrowhead at the head of the animating line moving towards its target. Quite unsatisfactory even with no eases. This can't be much of a problem, but in all my searching I can only find  objects moving along a static path.  Spent a lot of time on this (of course I learned a lot, too); if anyone can help I'd be most grateful. 

See the Pen yLrVzYW by storyproblemdoctor (@storyproblemdoctor) on CodePen

Edited by Xristi
I fixed it!

You'd stated you've fixed it? I still wanted to share some insight on how I would set this up. I've two pens for you, one with some comments in your JS of things that aren't quite right:

See the Pen BaEQrBe?editors=0010 by mvaneijgen (@mvaneijgen) on CodePen

And one with a timeline and two tweens. I've modified your SVG, because there were some transforms on shapes. When animating SVG I always like to flatten all transforms (this should be an option in your design program). Hope it helps and happy tweening! 

See the Pen LYvbzae?editors=0010 by mvaneijgen (@mvaneijgen) on CodePen

• Like 2

This is wonderful!! Thank you so much. I am so grateful that you decided to post a reply even after my "fixed" edit. I meant that I thought I had fixed my code to run even though I didn't like the result ; wrong. It didn't run but I thought someone might still look at the code and you did! I not only learned exactly what I need to know with regards to this important animation in my ITS, but learned a lot about posting a pen. Such a thorough response - you are to commended as well as thanked...

Xristi

• Thanks 1

Thank you for your quick reply. As I get better at animating SVGs with GSAP I'll use more shapes. Right now, I only use the triangle described by a path (written by me). Sure would like to use Boxy and, in fact, I just downloaded it. I used Inkscape  for a little experimentation and it had a selection in Edit that gave a path for the object just drawn. Does Boxy have that?  You used the word "export"; What is exported? Thank you for teaching me stuff!

Check out this tutorial by our on @Carl, I use Affinity Designer and with it I can to to File > Export and select SVG. With Boxy you can just copy the SVG code which is much easier when developing animation. Hope it helps and happy tweening! 

• Like 1

Hi, not sure you can help me with my new barrier to success because you solved the problem that I posted. The animation runs perfectly on the page I submitted for the codepen. However, when I ported the code to the actual page for its intended use, it did not show when its function was called. So I fiddled around with the css and html code. The changes I have made either kept the svg from appearing or, when it did appear it was preceded by the completed svg appearing, then the animation. Is there something I am doing wrong that rings a bell, or should I repost?

When this happens to me. I just start disabling big chunks of CSS/HTML or other JS until the bug has been fixed and then start introducing small elements back until it is back again. Then you know what the culprit is. But other than that I don't know 🤷

• 2 weeks later...