Search Community

Stagger animation not coming out smooth

Ian Robinson test
Moderator Tag

I was away from GSAP for a bit but back and working on incorporating as much as possible in a project so feel possibly I'm missing basic/obvious things, but for some reason this simple animation of where the 3 bubbles pop up with a stagger and a little bounce is coming out a bit jumpy - and even worse bringing it into CodePen for some reason. Possibly due to my HTML/CSS structure?

See the Pen dyaxaqX by ilrobinson (@ilrobinson) on CodePen

2 hours ago, Ian Robinson said:

Possibly due to my HTML/CSS structure?

This is exactly what's happening! Your css transitions are fighting with the GSAP animations. If you remove the CSS transitions your animations should work smoothly as intended.

More info here: https://gsap.com/resources/mistakes#using-css-transitions-and-gsap-on-the-same-properties

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Ian Robinson said:

I was away from GSAP for a bit but back and working on incorporating as much as possible in a project so feel possibly I'm missing basic/obvious things, but for some reason this simple animation of where the 3 bubbles pop up with a stagger and a little bounce is coming out a bit jumpy - and even worse bringing it into CodePen for some reason. Possibly due to my HTML/CSS structure?

I removed these:
    transform: scale(1);
    transition: 0.3s ease;

Now Smooth in this forked code pen:  

See the Pen poGMBvy by windpixel (@windpixel) on CodePen

• Like 1

Thanks so much guys! My brain was a bit fried by the time I got to this and as you see, I knew the issue but for some reason, embarrasingly it didn't occur to check. Thanks for picking up my brain's slack, I appreciate it. Assuming the best thing in this scenario is to just use GSAP mouse events for rollover?