Search Community

Cursor follow within bounds

ektorp test
Moderator Tag

Go to solution Solved by Rodrigo,

Hello team Greensock - I am looking to do a fairly basic hover cursor follow within bounds using GSAP. I've looked around the forums and have seen many cursor followers but none within bounds. If you view the attached codepen and scroll down EXACTLY to the middle screen, it is working as expected. The issue is that once you scroll the page up or down, and then hover over the circle call to action, the hover interaction basically falls apart. I am using gsap.getProperty and gsap.quickTo to set the intended coordinates but there is apparently an issue. If you scroll up or scroll down and then hover over the CTA, you will see how things get misaligned and offset. The circle should never fully flow outside of the box container as it currently does. I believe it is some miscalculation and/or misuse of gsap.getProperty and/or gsap.quickTo. Any help with getting this resolved would be greatly appreciated.

This is the approach I took with this specific interaction. I am open to other ideas of how this can be done.

The GSAP website under the UI page has a very similar interaction that I am looking to achieve. Many of the GSAP website interactions are often included on Codepen but I was not able find one for this use case. On the GSAP UI page, under the "Create complex UI in a snap (Or click)" section, the bottom center element with the circle is basically what I am looking to do, without SVG, just standard divs:

https://gsap.com/ui/ 

See the Pen ZEwVzMo by bdang (@bdang) on CodePen

Hey, I played with a similiar effect a while back.

See the Pen mdaeEmm?editors=0010 by alig01 (@alig01) on CodePen

I'm not sure if this is the best approach, since it didn't make it into production so I stopped testing it. But it should for sure lead you into the right direction.

Some more infos: difference: pageX and clientXBoundingClientRect 

The key is to take the scrolling of the page into account.

Hope this helps and good luck with your project.

• Like 4

Hi @Rodrigo - Thanks again for your assistance with this issue. I've made some updates to have the element animate and ease into place. As you mousemove and mouseleave, everything moves nice and smooth. The only outstanding issue is on the mousemove event. On the initial mousemove event,  the ball nicely animates into place. And this continues as you mousemove and mouseleave the ball. But once you come back to it and mousemove it again, the ball just jumps into place without the animation or easing. The user experience is not ideal. Is this an issue you can assist with? Again, your help and assistance is greatly appreciated.

See the Pen BaMvmvr by bdang (@bdang) on CodePen

• Solution

Hi,

Yeah because of the way quickTo works, you need to clear the last X/Y values in order start with the current ones, so you can add an onComplete callback in your mouseleave instance to flush those values using the invalidate method:

let tX, tY;
const setX = gsap.quickTo(".ball", "x", {duration: 0.5, ease: "power3"});
const setY = gsap.quickTo(".ball", "y", {duration: 0.5, ease: "power3"});

listener.addEventListener("mousemove", (e) => {
  tX = setX(clamperX(e.offsetX - dimensions.width / 2));
  tY = setY(clamperY(e.offsetY - dimensions.height / 2));
});

listener.addEventListener("mouseleave", () => {
  gsap.to(".ball", {
    x: 0, y: 0, ease: "back.out", duration: 0.5,
    onComplete: () => {
      tX.invalidate();