Search Community

Updating to position with window resize

TezzyBear test
Moderator Tag

Go to solution Solved by akapowl,

Hi! Im currently trying to get an animation to move to the center of the screen like so:

gsap.to(animation, { x: window.innerWidth / 2, y: window.innerHeight / 2 });

However, when resizing the window mid animation... The to end position is not updated (this is what I expect to happen, I understand tweenTo vars are registered at the begining of the animation and arent updated mid animation). What would be the correct approach for the animation to update this value correctly? I was thinking of just setting (gsap.set()) the position on an updateTo callback within the tweenToVars but that just seems like doing all the work. Is there another solution?

hi @TezzyBear im not sure what you are trying to build here since there is no codepen demo to see your use case but maybe give a try quickTo and quickSetter , or just go lazy mode and add the tween inside an  eventListener for the resize

but still, it depends on your use case may be matchMedia can help you also 🤔 

I'm interested in what you are building that requires user resizing in the middle of the animation 

• Like 1

Thanks for the help @Toso. My first solution involved handling the tween inside the event listener, resetting the tween, and setting the progress to that of my original tweens at the time of the resize. I just thought this was a bit messy. I'm sorry for not providing a CodePen, but I thought the question was straightforward! 

• Solution

Welcome to the GSAP Forum, @TezzyBear

1 hour ago, TezzyBear said:

Hi! Im currently trying to get an animation to move to the center of the screen like so:

gsap.to(animation, { x: window.innerWidth / 2, y: window.innerHeight / 2 });

However, when resizing the window mid animation... The to end position is not updated

One very simple way to achieve that the end position gets updated is to use vw/vh values for the x/y properties of your tween .

See the Pen OJdaewQ by akapowl (@akapowl) on CodePen

If you'd want to line up the center of your element to the center of the window, you could additionally also use xPercent/yPercent values on top of that.

See the Pen abXQgRv by akapowl (@akapowl) on CodePen

As  Toso already implied, it always helps to add a minimal demo to your question, so a) it becomes clearer what you actually intend to do and b) people willing to help don't have to go through the extra-steps of creating some themselves to show you what you could possibly do.

I hope that will help.

Edit:

If (for whatever reason) you can not use vw/vh values, another way to go about that would be to use function based values for your x/y properties, and in a resize eventListener function handle the progress of your tween and invalidate it, as suggested by OSUBlake in that older thread linked below, e.g.

See the Pen wvNQVaQ by akapowl (@akapowl) on CodePen

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1