Search Community

Rotate element on scroll with element already rotating

Duo test
Moderator Tag

Go to solution Solved by mvaneijgen,

Hi,

I have an element that rotates infinitely 360 degrees using GSAP. I've also implemented direction-based rotating on scroll using ScrollTrigger. It works great initially but once you begin to scroll either up or down and the scrolling stops, the element jumps to its original rotating position and begins rotating again which isn't ideal.

This is the code that I'm using:

gsap.to(this.rotatingText, {rotation: 360, duration: 40, repeat: -1});

var rotate = gsap.timeline({
  scrollTrigger: {
    trigger: "html",
    scrub: 0.2,
    start: "top top",
    end: "+=10000"
  }
}).to(this.rotatingText, {
  rotation: 360 * 5,
  duration: 1,
  ease: "none"
})

Ideally, I would love it to, be that after scrolling, it gets the element's current rotated position and then begins rotating again from that point.

You can view a video screenshot of the issue here: https://www.veed.io/view/6de5e2cc-072e-45d7-bb30-d015766ae546?sharingWidget=true&panel=share

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

You could wrap your rotatingText in another element and animate that element on scroll, then with the ScrollTrigger onEnter and onLeave callbacks pause the initial tween and play it again. It is a bit hard to give advies when there is no minimal demo in which we can poke around, so this is the best I can do for now. 

The issue you're facing is because two tweens animate the same element and the same property, so you could also look in to overwrite: true on the second tween or instead of a fixed pixel value make it dynamic with `+=${360 * 5}`, but having two distinct elements is the best way to go in my opinion. Hope it helps and happy tweening!