Search Community

Parallax scroll isn't smooth - any ideas?

FBOMB test
Moderator Tag

Hi, I am working on some parallax layers for a concert scene as you scroll (crowd, foreground band, background band, stage background) and I am wondering how I can make it more smooth as you scroll? Sometimes it is a bit choppy. Am I not supposed to initially set the top or left margins in css? If not, how would I do it? Where exactly am I going wrong in this example?

Thanks!

See the Pen RwYObvK by tnse (@tnse) on CodePen

Hi,

Just use a number value for scrub:

gsap.to(".para", {
  scrollTrigger: {
    scrub: 1.5 // <- Here
  }, 
  y: (i, target) => -ScrollTrigger.maxScroll(window) * target.dataset.speed,
  ease: "none"
});

From the docs:
Scrub:   Boolean | Number - Links the progress of the animation directly to the scrollbar so it acts like a scrubber. You can apply smoothing so that it takes a little time for the playhead to catch up with the scrollbar's position! It can be any of the following
Boolean - scrub: true links the animation's progress directly to the ScrollTrigger's progress.
Number - The amount of time (in seconds) that the playhead should take to "catch up", so scrub: 0.5 would cause the animation's playhead to take 0.5 seconds to catch up with the scrollbar's position. It's great for smoothing things out.

Hopefully this helps.

Happy Tweening!

Thank you for the thorough explanation, it's working much better in Safari and Firefox! It is still a bit laggy in Chrome though, is this a known issue with Chrome? Are there any settings that can fix the Chrome lag? Thanks again!

Hi,

I'm not seeing any issues on Chrome in Ubuntu 20 & 22.

The one thing you can try is this in your css:

.para {
  will-change: transform;
}

Beyond that I can't offer much advice, sorry. Performance is a deep topic and in over 11 years around GSAP I can guarantee you that 99.99% of the times is a browser rendering/layering/shifting issue than GSAP. Performance bottlenecks are normally related to rendering.

Hopefully this helps.

Happy Tweening!