Search Community

Is there a GSAP plugin alternative to what Smooth Scrollbar is doing?

chrisjavieroliveros test
Moderator Tag

I'm trying to add inertia to scrolling in my website using this Smooth Scrollbar plugin. (Which by the way I discovered from your ScrollTrigger doc.) I am using GSAP (and this plugin) with Angular 11. The problem is that the plugin is making the website feel jittery at times especially on larger screens. It's good that it gets the job done and does what I want but it's not as performant as GSAP. I wanted to ask if there's a plugin in GSAP that I can use to achieve similar effect.

Thanks!

Hey @chrisjavieroliveros

In short:

No, there is no GSAP pre-built stand-alone solution for smooth-scrolling.

You could for example leverage ScrollTrigger though, to get that smooth-scrolling effect, like @ihatetomatoes showed in these threads here for example.

But ScrollTrigger is not built to do scrolljacking like that in the first place and doing so will likely come with quite a few trade-offs. One trade-off when using the solution in that thread could for example be that you could run into problems when trying to use ScrollTrigger's pinning alongside that smooth-scrolling approach.

The upside of those (good) smooth-scrolling libraries that exist out there, is that they try to tackle most of those trade offs for you, but even they can not address every caveat that comes with smooth-scrolling because it simply just is not possible due to how you have to make it work in the first place.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Paul

• Like 2