Search Community

Animation is laggy on some computers

balazs-d test
Moderator Tag

Hi People, 

I have some weird issues with a page I created. The animations are an important part and unfortunately its very laggy on some computers. I tested it already on 10 devices (Linux, OSX, Windows different hardware etc). Testing is kind of hard since all the computer I'm using at home for programming the application runs well. Also, the performance test seems to be good. The typical issues like using x and y instead of left and right positioning, and skew and scale instead of transform are correct.  I also use canvas instead of a div. 
Attached is a video how it looks if it's laggy. Under the link you can open the page on Vercel and also see a short video how it looks if its laggy. 

I didnt created a CodePen demo yet, since it seems to refactor a lot. Maybe it's enough if I post here the code. Let me know please!

I use React and Styled Components. 

Laggyhttps://www.dropbox.com/s/o8nz4qd5emuu251/VID_20201119_155301.mp4?dl=0

Application on Vercelhttps://kh-version2.vercel.app/feed

Thanks in advance!

Hey balazs-d and welcome to the GreenSock forums.

Other properties that can slow down your page that I see you using include (in order of the largest source of performance issues to the least):

1. filter
  2. box-shadow
  3. gradients

Try removing or reducing the number of your filters and box-shadows in particular and you should see a big performance improvement. Maybe us images instead for some of the effects. Or just drop them.

Past that, you'd need to do a more full performance review. Unfortunately that's out of scope for what we can do for free in these forums.

Happy tweening!

• Like 1