Search Community

Graph math functions with infinite grid

baylock test
Moderator Tag

Hi,

I'm just prospecting here before I choose the right tool for what I need to do.
Basically, I would like to get an interactive animation.
At some point of it, I would like to display a graph of a mathematical function on a grid, with the possibility for the user to scroll and drag in order to (theoretically) infinitely zoom in/out and drag the grid, and therefore, the function curve.
Is it something that GSAP can handle somehow or do I have to look for something else ?
My point is to make some maths courses online based on animations and interactivity. it will obviously be math and function graphs heavy.
My guess is that GSAP would need to work along with some libraries in order to achieve this but I don't know if GSAP will help or get in the way.
I've seen many impressive demos about GSAP but none related to dynamically graphing math functions so far (I've seen some bezier curves but I'm not sure you can generate a graph from a mathematical function and handle it freely.
So, I wonder if you think I'm in the right place or not.

Thanks for your input

Hey baylock and welcome to the GreenSock forums.

GSAP can animate anything that you can change around with JavaScript. So if you wanted to render your graphs with Canvas or SVG then GSAP can animate those things around. But GSAP doesn't have anything specific to rendering mathematical functions to SVG or Canvas. You should use another tool or library to do that. 

• Like 1

Ok, thank you for your candid answer.
I read that GSAP can basically use as an object pretty much everything for tweening. But I was looking for something that would manipulate those graphs natively so that they can inherently be tampered with.
Thank you very much for the information.