Search Community

Incremental but infinite rotation

jkoler test
Moderator Tag

Hi All,

I hope I'm able to articulate what I want to achieve! I have a simplified version of a chart in the attached Codepen.

Whenever a 'slice' is clicked, I want it to spin anticlockwise to the 0 degree position. If it's already in the 0 degree position, nothing should happen. What I have so far is a CSS animation that rotates minus 72 degrees on every click which is the right animation, but I can't get the right rotation from any slice.

Basically, on load, if you clicked the yellow segment it would go nowhere. If you click the pink segment, it rotates to 0 (correct). But if you then clicked the yellow segment again, it should rotate a whole 288 degrees back to the origin. 

I hope that makes sense and I haven't overcomplicated it!

See the Pen wvGBwpa by macphersonj (@macphersonj) on CodePen

Hey jkoler and welcome to the GreenSock forums.

First things first:

• Why are you using such a really old version of GSAP? GSAP 3 has a smaller file size, a sleeker API and a TON of new features so we highly recommend using it instead.
  • The way you created the ring using separate SVGs is a little confusing to me. Why not create it as one SVG?
  • You're loading two versions of jQuery. You don't even really need one but it's best to load just one if you're going to use it :) 

Normally we don't have the capacity to help with a purely logical question like this, but since it's fairly simple and you're new I'll help.

Here's how I'd do it if I had to use your markup (though in practice I'd probably make the above changes):

See the Pen rNeaapO?editors=0010 by GreenSock (@GreenSock) on CodePen

• Like 3

First up: thanks so much for the help!

Second: I'm actually using the current GSAP version locally. I added jQuery into codepen for the click event but inadvertently added '/jquery.gsap.min.js' thinking it was another required library from another demo pen I'd looked at.  As for GSAP, again I just copy/pasted the source js files from another pen.

The reason I've created it using separate SVGs is because (bear in mind the codepen is a much simplifed version as requested by a number of threads I read) per click each SVG will morph into a slightly different shape once rotated to 0. Hard to explain, but if you're interested I'll post the final product!

Finally: Thanks so much for your help - now that I've seen what you've done it makes complete sense. Sorry for bothering you with the purely logical question that my small brain couldn't get around (😝)

2 minutes ago, jkoler said:

The reason I've created it using separate SVGs is because (bear in mind the codepen is a much simplifed version as requested by a number of threads I read) per click each SVG will morph into a slightly different shape once rotated to 0. Hard to explain, but if you're interested I'll post the final product!

You can do that in one SVG :) MorphSVG works with paths, not SVG elements. So having them all in the same SVG still makes sense.

Happy to help!

• Like 1

I see!

One SVG and morphing each path via a class? I've not had a chance to play with MorphSVG yet. 

I guess my reasoning was separating them was for ease of manipulation per segment, but that comes at a cost of a lot of precise absolute positioning as you've seen in the pen. I may need to shift my thinking!

In any case I'll post the end result here and you can have a look. Thanks again, really helped me see what I need to do more clearly. Sometimes you need a second set of eyes. Cheers

3 minutes ago, jkoler said:

I guess my reasoning was separating them was for ease of manipulation per segment, but that comes at a cost of a lot of precise absolute positioning as you've seen in the pen. I may need to shift my thinking!

I think positioning would be easier and manipulation is the same if you use one SVG :) 

4 minutes ago, jkoler said:

One SVG and morphing each path via a class?

Sure, it doesn't really matter what you use to select them. You could just select them using their tag name.