Search Community

Thin white border trails

Iamattamai test
Moderator Tag

Has anyone ever seen an image or svg animation superimposed over another image leaving behind a trail of thin white borders upon movement?

I would love to share a codepen but it only happens for me using Edge and only with a specific Dell remote monitor plugged in.

I'm pretty sure the monitor isn't defective since I have another identical that behaves the same way.

Here's the strange part - it doesn't appear on the host laptop and if I open my laptop the behavior disappears on the remote monitor.

Close the laptop and the white border trails are back.

Doesn't occur using Chrome at all on the same hardware combination either.

It also doesn't seem to appear if superimposed over a solid colored background, only images, Edge, specific monitor. I'm stumped.

Borders, margins and padding all set to 0, backface-visibility: hidden

I don't come here lightly - I've scoured the developer forums and can't find anyone else discussing it and hoped someone here might have seen it or have ANY suggestion.

aatest.png

Hey Iamattamai. That is a weird combination of setup but it definitely seems that it's not caused by GSAP itself. 

You could try to fix the issue by causing the animation to happen on the GPU instead if it's not already. Try adding a transform: translateZ(0) or will-change: transform to do so. It might be necessary to apply it on the tween you're animating with. Keep in mind that doing so can cause other issues due to it creating a stacking context and will-change having its own issues

• Like 2

Thanks Zach.

Definitely was not pointing fingers at GSAP - I realized it was farther-reaching but in desperation was hoping another animator had experienced and solved it.

Tried your suggestions to no avail.

Same monitor on another computer running Edge and no white trails. Dumbfounded.

Would love to just write it off,  but I have to wonder why and if somebody somewhere with the just-wrong hardware/version combination has a bad experience.

Anyway, many thanks - and I learned something about will-change too.