Search Community

Can I access the text content of the divs created by SplitText

Lucir test
Moderator Tag

Warning: Please note

This thread was started before GSAP 3 was released. Some information, especially the syntax, may be out of date for GSAP 3. Please see the GSAP 3 migration guide and release notes for more information about how to update the code to GSAP 3's syntax. 

Hi,

I'm trying to access dives created by SplitText and be able to read and change the content. I wanted to create a fraction embedded in text and have the text properly adjust itself around the fraction using SplitText. I also want to be able to read and write the text content of the divs. For that I was trying jquery's text() and html() methods, but the alert I placed in my code says undefined.

can somebody please look at my code in codepen?

I'm using Adobe Edge Animate as the main wrapper.

See the Pen rApJv by GreenSock (@GreenSock) on CodePen

Hi Lucir  :)

unfortunately , i can't understand completely what you looking for / your goal .

but i think these can help you :

- Get original innerHTML/Text by this :

console.log( mySplitText._originals[0] )

- Reverts to the original content ( the innerHTML before the split ) by this : .revert(); 

mySplitText.revert(); 

See the Pen gFHza by GreenSock (@GreenSock) on CodePen

- Change innerHtml , split again and restart the timeline/tween with something like this : 

See the Pen GgLoxV by MAW (@MAW) on CodePen

• Like 1

Hi, Diaco

I want to be able to change the fraction on say the click of a button or pick random numbers to replace the old ones. It seems you're suggesting I read the innerHTML before the split or after revert. I'll try that.

Thank you, Diaco

Luci

i think this's another useful method : 

See the Pen GgLoxV by MAW (@MAW) on CodePen

var newText =  mySplitText._originals[0].replace(/\s/g,' ♥ ');// replce whitespace with ♥ or whatever
  document.getElementById('quote').innerHTML= newText ;

and don't forget you can use another GSAP great pugin : Textplugin with SplitText together

Textplugin Doc : http://greensock.com/docs/#/HTML5/Text/TextPlugin/

something like this : 

See the Pen WbWwQj by MAW (@MAW) on CodePen

• Like 2

I applaud Diaco's ingenuity (good find)

However, I'd recommend staying away from properties that are preceded with an underscore (like _originals) as they are intended for use by the engine (with some exceptions like _gsTransform.

I think you can get a similar effect by just revert()-ing a SplitText instance, changing the text in the original DOM node and then recreating a new SplitText like:

http://codepen.io/GreenSock/pen/EaJKwM?editors=001

• Like 1