Search Community

Licensing E-Commerce Clarification

Jack_8123 test
Moderator Tag

Hi, I would just like clarification to know where I stand on the licensing for GSAP and ScrollTrigger.

So from my understanding from the posts below, the commercial license is only required if I am providing a a service to customers in which they must pay to experience the GSAP library, and selling things like clothing, candy etc will not require the license unless there is a fee to the customer:

Lets suppose I am selling furniture on a Shopify platform, which the actual product will have no GSAP as it is a physical product, the website uses GSAP and everyone can experience GSAP on the website free of charge...

Now whilst I do not take a fee for the users to use the website, should the user decide to purchase the product then Shopify will take a fee, and the payment gateway (which is always the case on an e-commerce website) will take a fee. Would these two entities taking a fee, which are totally out of my control, require my website have the commercial license?

PS.

By the way, I have used your product on non-ecommerce brochure sites before and I must say the GSAP library is a very convenient and handy tool. Great job!

Thanks for seeking clarification, @Jack_8123. We always appreciate folks who are diligent about honoring the licensing terms. Our entire business model is built on the honor system and trust. 

It's totally fine if your payment gateway takes a fee during checkout for products that [themselves] don't use GreenSock technology. The usage you described is covered under the standard "no charge" license because the furniture obviously doesn't use GSAP and your web site isn't charging any fees to access certain parts or features of the site (right?). 

Enjoy! 

11 hours ago, Jack_8123 said:

By the way, I have used your product on non-ecommerce brochure sites before and I must say the GSAP library is a very convenient and handy tool. Great job!

💚

On 9/19/2023 at 2:08 AM, GreenSock said:

Thanks for seeking clarification, @Jack_8123. We always appreciate folks who are diligent about honoring the licensing terms. Our entire business model is built on the honor system and trust. 

It's totally fine if your payment gateway takes a fee during checkout for products that [themselves] don't use GreenSock technology. The usage you described is covered under the standard "no charge" license because the furniture obviously doesn't use GSAP and your web site isn't charging any fees to access certain parts or features of the site (right?). 

Enjoy! 

💚

I agree with it. I bought the license and they didn't charge anything extra and it was simple.